Friday, April 20, 2007

Single Moms CD Testimonials

I couldn't wait to purchase and listen to Lori's CD Single Moms: Struggles and Strengths. I did so on Wednesday and to date I have listened to it 3 times. While listening to Lori and Louise's dialogue, I found myself more then a little engaged! I found out many things. One was why I have always had a deep respect for Lori, almost from the time I met her. Her single Mom struggles were not lost on me and now listening to her CD I realized how much her life mirrors my own Mom, who was a single mother during the 70's (not a very socially acceptable time). My Mom did the same things that Lori did, but the money she earned was still far below what she needed to make, to maintain a good life for me and for my sister. She chose to marry a man she didn't love to provide us with a home and security. That is a profoundly hard thing to understand, except when listening to Lori I realized, it was a different form of pride. She had a job, but by providing us with what was perceived as the "proper" family and home, she felt good.
It's amazing how much impact the conversation between Louise and Lori had on me. Lori is so real to me, not just because I know her and she's my friend. She has a way to make the WELness™ series accessible, not only to me, but to so many other women. As Louise put it so well, Lori is the poster child for the WELness™ series . She attained all the goals she set out for herself and she's just keeps evolving! She inspired me to reach out for my dreams as well, and it's an amazing thing to have someone in your life where it's all positive and welcoming.

Thank you Louise for showing Lori this amazing path to self awareness and discovery, you're presentation of the series engaged her to reveal and "decloak" the real Lori, who was there all along. I love what you said about her, who is this amazing 'unmasked woman'!

There are so many different facets to Lori, but the outstanding personality traits are her teaching abilities, her leadership qualities and she's an amazing Mom! I feel like if I had to describe her in one word it would be EXTRAORDINARY!

Again, thank you both.

Laura Beaton
Dartmouth, NS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I finally broke down and decided to listen to Lori Walton's Interview of Struggles and Strengths of a Single Mom. As I was listening to it in the car on my way to work this morning, I heard the voice of a very powerful women. I am constantly absorbing her words even once the car is parked and I am climbing on the ferry for my morning commute to work. I feel the urge to take out my journal and jot down my thoughts. Meanwhile I can't wait to get to work to hug Lori. Hug her to show her that she will never be alone…….hug her to show her how truly beautiful and intelligent she is……hug her to say I am glad you are in my life…..hug her to thank her for sharing…sharing a life experience with me that has so impacted her life and molder her to the confident women she is today. She is a gift and I know in my heart of hearts she has been sent here to us to share that gift of love, courage and strengths.

I too am a single mom. I guess you could say some of us live each day with that fear of society being right, that children who grow up with a single "MOM" are more likely to be high school drop-outs, unintelligent, criminals who will never amount to anything. Far to often we find ourselves pushing our children to the brink in hopes that people will see only the perfections. It breaks my heart that as a single mom, I too hold that fear for my son.

I know what it is like to lose a job because your boss was of old school and said that you had no right to be a single mom. How dare he. So I found myself pregnant for a new baby, a mortgage I did not know how I was going to pay and no job. Talk about a let down. Hanging your head was all you wanted to do. But something in me said "NO", I want my son to know that, that is not what life is about and I pushed to have his beliefs and discriminations removed from the workplace. I never got my job back but he too got to experience the humiliation and the shame he put so many others through.

I have such a sense of pride in knowing that my son loves me and taking this course with Lori has helped me to be a better mom to him at his level not at mine. Even at the age of 6 he can see how hard I am trying each day to be that better person, who loves him unconditionally. It is so easy to let your own fears and anxieties rub off on your children. We need to be strong and teach then respect and confidence…..Love the world and it will love you back.

Donna
Dartmouth, NS

No comments: