Thursday, November 01, 2007

Speaking Up... Speaking Out

It is as simple as that.

Generally we tend to make assumptions that things are all our own and we just have to learn to suck it up and deal with it.

Rarely (as women) do we voice what we want. Actually put words to what we would like to happen.

Men do not seem to have as much of a problem saying no as women do? Why is that?

Is it because it has only been in the last 50 yrs that we have been given a chance in the work place? Is it because when we were "allowed" to go to work in the corporate environment (other than secretarial positions) that we had to prove ourselves? That we could handle it?

Why is it that I felt (internalized) that I would be looked at as a failure if I couldn't do it all?

And the answers don't matter.

What matters is that I remembered. I remembered who I am, that yes I am in charge of the design of my own life (like you are yours).

I spoke up. I expressed what I was feeling and was clear that I would not be able to continue doing it all.

The outcome?

The weight of it all is lifted from my shoulders and temporary help is being hired to assist me.

My input and background on this major project is to valued to put someone else on it... however all of the other tasks I was concerning myself with wanting to get done because I know they needed to get done... the things that will take forever to do but would be such a great asset to our unit... will now get done by someone else, at my direction (with input from others).

Sometimes all you need to do to release pressure you may be feeling is to express it... speak up and speak out about your "enough is enough" point. Be clear and be proactive.

You might be surprised with the outcome... I was.

Life is good... there is always more.

No comments: