Thursday, May 31, 2007

Introduction to Shamanism

I have begun taking a 3 day workshop on Shamanism, one day a month for the next 3 months.

I recently became re-acquainted with a woman who was once my insurance broker and have discovered she is on her own personal journey of self discovery. A mutual friend kept saying, you and Angela should really get together, I hear you talking about many of the same things. I kept putting it off. Until I came across her on "facebook" and saw her company Divine Connections linked there. I of course checked it out. And became curious about just what it is she has been up to and just how my ex-insurance broker became this who new woman I never even knew about.

I contacted Angela and we set up a time to talk about what we have been doing in our lives. I had some questions about the types of services she offers and she in turn had questions on her own. I had questions about Shamanism; was it a religion? Was it about worshiping something or someone? Just what is it all about?

Knowing what I know now about myself I know that I have to learn more. I know that if I am curious and drawn to something then that generally means I have some lesson to learn about myself there.

As some of you may be curious as well I am going to let you know about my experience. The only thing I would have changed personally is I would have grounded myself more in my body before embarking on the "journeying"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Journey 1

She did some drumming and invited me close my eyes and journey to the 'lower world' with the intention of connecting with a plant (my choice), I chose this one I found at Oceanstone on my last visit there.

My entry point was the circle at Oceanstone… to the brook, walking down the centre into the ocean. Underneath the rocks in the middle of the water there was an archway… my entry point. As I moved down this tunnel with clear walls and ceiling, that meandered down, and down into the earth, all of the sudden I am in a rich lush forest.

I found and spoke to the moss I discovered my last trip to Oceanstone. I was not fully connected to myself during this experience and I can fully remember being aware of the room I was in at the same time as being aware of my experience… in snippets, my consciousness kept going from this journey to my everyday reality, and back and forth. Then I was invited to come back through the tunnel and open my eyes. My thoughts I wrote down afterwards are as follows.

The moss taught me: Beauty is in everything. Stop… notice. Moss was the most vibrant green… living… I'm living. Look at all that is round you and breathe it in, there is beauty in everything. Don't pass it by.


Journey 2

Again she began drumming and invited this time for me to enter through an entry point of my choice and to locate my 'power animal' and discuss what information it holds for me.

I chose the same entry point, I found it easier this time. I had preconceived notions of where I would end up and what my animal might look like… or so I thought. As I went down the tunnel I was very surprised when I dropped on an elephant. In the Savannah of some sort.

I remember thinking, man this elephant is in the way, and I turned to try to find my power animal thinking this can't be him. But I turned back and looked at him, and I knew I should ask him. So I did. It felt very right. How can you miss an elephant? We 'talked' about it being okay to feel immense, huge, and heavy like I do when I am in full connection with myself. We spoke about my not always feeling safe to allow my god force to shine through and that I am safe it is something that I just must accept and embrace. I'm sure there was more, but I remember playing. I remember riding this magnificent animal and being sprayed by the mud. I remember the feel of his skin and his presence. In retrospect talking about it now, it was quite awesome in it's own way. Then I was invited to come back through the tunnel and open my eyes. My thoughts I wrote afterwards are as follows.

Connection with the elephant. Breathing myself into him and him into me. We are one. My feeling of presence… of knowing… of heaviness… of wisdom… of remembering who I am… my source… that is us all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the past year I have been very blessed with the fact that I am awake and aware of the more that is out there. We bump through life most days without ever thinking about anything outside of our personal reality. Sometimes we know these things exist (like people from different cutures, people of different religions) but we shut out what doesn't impact us directly. Little do we realize that we each impact every single person and thing in our world, to one extent or another.
To learn about other peoples experiences or new experiences to you offers a greater understanding of the way you live your own life. I have found lessons in everything I engage in.
Life is good... tomorrow is a new day.

1 comment:

Anne T.-Bérubé, PhD said...

Hi Lori

The importance of remembering that we are all connected is very actual in our society. I think that it's when we all really understand how we are One and we take steps toward uniting that we will see big changes.

I am so amaze at all the "Steps" you have taken to bring that about, to make people realize what connecets them to themselfs and others.

I love, love your new programs! Congratulations! You have been very busy. I am looking forward to being in your program room soon.

Love

Anne