Friday, February 16, 2007

No Harm... No Foul

My decision is made. I put myself out there... asked for it all... no harm, no foul.

I'm in sync with my friend Sarah lately (big time). Every time I engage with her it is a reflection of me (see Holy Holodecks - batman).

Last night Sarah & I were having a fantastic conversation and she asked me does my work support me and value my leadership qualities. My first thought was the people I engage with do... and the others have just fallen away (are no longer prominent in my day to day routines).

And I struggled a bit with the answer to that. It was almost like it didn't compute in my psyche. Why would I care if my work supported me or not? So that was my answer. I know that the "job" does not define me. It once did, that was one of the many things I used it to keep myself small.

What I now know is that I am resourceful enough to create my own future, regardless of which job I am in or not it. And of course during my telephone conversation with her last night, I knew that is just how I feel now, I'm very clear on that.

And yet I still didn't relate this conversation to my current situation (Duh, you'd think I'd learn... Holographic Universe)

So this morning I get to work and check my voice mail. It's my new manager calling wanting to discuss my e-mail I sent telling them I'd like to discuss options surrounding my assignment opportunity.

I met this morning with my new co-workers/managers (this is really cool, they seem to really work as a team). We had a conversation about the possibility of my going on the other assignment right from the start of my new job.

I am very excited to begin working with this group. The energy in the room was positive, they told me they were impressed with my leadership qualities in the interview and are hopeful those qualities will assist me into making the group run even more smoothly.

We all gave our points of view and in the end I agreed that although the assignment in Corporate would be a really great opportunity for me... I can create my own opportunities where ever I am.

And it was very clear to me during this meeting... my new manager hit the nail right on the head... "is it the exposure you think you'd miss if you didn't go on the assignment" (something like that) and I was very clear when I replied... I think I have the exposure and I know I can create it wherever I am. :o)

That felt really right. My wanting to take this assignment with the "big wigs" was mostly based on who I would get to know and exposure. My conversation last night with Sarah reminded me of my deep clarity that I am the one who creates my future.

There was no nagging feelings of disappointment when I said I would not go on the assignment.

I look forward to beginning my new position on March 5th, 2007. Yay me!

Who knows what tomorrow will bring, more growth that is certain. Life is good.

No comments: