Monday, January 15, 2007

Creativity in Flow

I've been having a fantastic time lately creating with crayons and pastels. I've had so much fun doing this with my kids and encouraging "out of the box" types of art.

For example, my daughter had a friend over to sleep on Saturday night. The two of them were sitting at the table after 10 p.m. doing some pencil games (I assume they are like M.A.S.H. and games like that).

My two year old was complaining of a tummy ache and I had just sat with her for a while until it dissipated. When I came out of the bedroom I wanted to make something. So I took out the pastels and let my hand do whatever felt right.

Well Jessica & her friend decided to draw too. So I encouraged them to draw each other while they were blindfolded. You should see the picture Jessica did; it was truly Picasso-esk. They stayed up for another hour creating mixing colours with their fingers, smudging, and laughing.

We have recently started a wall in our dining area devoted to displaying our creations.

Whether I'm creating with the kids or feel moved to do something on my own when they are all tucked in bed, I am amazed with how it all looks in the morning.

I see metaphors for how my day went or for things that I have been thinking about.

I see how much perceptions and filters come into play when none of us really see the same thing as the other.

I see how we all do this with everything in life. I might perceive an incident or event one way and guaranteed the 5 other people all perceive it differently from the rest.

This is where respecting and listening to others and recognizing their authentic self/voice is so important. If we don't share the same perspective or view on an issue, it's not wrong, it's just different. If we were all to remember this as we go on through our day to day business, there would certainly be less grief/stress in our lives.

Funny how my original intention to write about creativity stemmed into the work environment... and why shouldn't it? It's all the same... Life.

And there is always more.

No comments: