Thursday, January 18, 2007

From the Mouth of Babes

My 11 year old daughter is almost completed a book report for her grade 6 class. The book she is reporting is called I Hadn't Meant to Tell You This by Jacqueline Woodson.

This book is about racism, abuse and loss. I think these are really great novel for my daughter to be learning about... but something bothers me about her having to report on it. See her book report criteria states she must present a written and oral report of her book. The subjects this book tackles are not easy to talk about in front of peers by an 11 yr old.

My Daughters report deals mostly with the racism aspect of it and how the two girls quickly over come the perceived barrier of the colour of their skin. However the "N" word is used in this book and shows up at the beginning of my daughters report. I understand it is to give context to the meaningful transition to this incredible friendship that is formed between the two main characters, but my hackles are up.

If my daughter is to present this orally to her class, will this cause waves?

Will the students in her class start using that word more than they may already because she was allowed to in her presentation?

Will the students who come from a diverse background be offended or hurt by the use of the word?

Will the students be shocked by the use of the word in class and mention it to their parents out of context?

Most of all will my daughter receive a backlash because of all of these above possibilities?

My primal instinct has kicked in here tonight... wanting to protect my cubs (so to speak). I've written the teacher to express my concerns. My daughter has written a brilliant report and put a lot of hard work into it, but there is still that question... is there maybe some other way to do this? I hope the teacher and my daughter can brainstorm a solution, I am behind her in ultimately what ever she decides.

Maybe there is just some other way to put the first half of her report, one that will still put across the ugliness that is racism... who knows.

This is me tonight... wanting to protect and defend... and making up all kinds of reactions in my head... my concerns may all be for nothing, yet my body is telling me I can't let my concerns go unheard.

No comments: